Often people jump from one job to another in a panic or just take the next promotion or job that comes their way and then wonder why their work is unfulfilling. Other times they quit jobs out of frustration only to realize they are not prepared for what is next. That is why I encourage you to take time out to do some soul searching before you jump into the next job search.
I can already hear some of you saying back to me, “I do not have time”. You may see your unemployment payments ending or you are employed and feeling overwhelmed, but your future long term happiness depends on you taking a step back.
Here are the top ten reasons why:
1. If you are unhappy and do not review your work history, chances are you will continue on the same track.
2. You may have mastered a skill or career that has become boring and you need to discover a new challenge.
3. Doing some internal deep work on yourself will help you develop clearer criteria for future work which will in turn, help you be more strategic and confidant in your job search.
4. In these lean times, less and less resources in organizations are available for career development and training. You have to be in charge of your own career and education plan and to do this properly you need to invest some time into researching what is best for your future.
5. You may be in an industry that is changing or being eliminated. You should become informed on economic trends to make sure your career choices have longevity.
6. As you grow older your interests will change and to stay engaged you have to be connected to things that you will continue to inspire you to do good work.
7. Along the way of life you may have been diverted from your passions and purpose and now be the best time to reevaluate where you are and where you are going.
8. Your work may have contributed to health problems that need to be attended to so you can be your best.
9. The stress of work may have taken a toll on your significant relationships which may need to be considered as you make a plan for a new job.
10. You may need to assess your finances before you look for your next career change.
So now that you know why, the question will be how? This is where we come in. It is often too confusing to do this soul searching process on your own. Our method can help you do this in a deep and productive way. To get started, email or call us to arrange a free consultation/coaching session at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-222-5561.
Founder and CEO
© 2012 – 2014, brightlivelihoods. All rights reserved.