Wednesday, January 26th, 2011
“The first step in winning the future is encouraging American innovation. None of us can predict with certainty what the next big industry will be or where the new jobs will come from. Thirty years ago, we couldn’t know that something called the Internet would lead to an economic revolution. What we can do — what America does better than anyone else — is spark the creativity and imagination of our people.” Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 25, 2011
Bright Livelihoods Discovery is a collaborative program for teens preparing for careers and college with an emphasis on innovation. It is a highly innovative and experiential process that helps students explore and identify a personal career dream and courses of study that are focused, enjoyable and on point. This training uniquely prepares students to participate and advance in this dynamic and creative economy where we can no longer predict what the jobs of the future will be.
Over the last 15 years, I have developed a comprehensive method for career and college readiness that has been delivered at high schools, colleges and camps. This program is used for developing:
- A deeper understanding of “self” and an understanding of unique drivers
- A clear vision for their career that re-engages and excites
- A creative personal project that demonstrates and supports their dream/goals (art project, website or their own business plan)
- A personalized Career/Employment/Education plan to use as a guide
- A stronger commitment to do good work every day – at school, at home and in their community – fueled by increased self-esteem and engagement
- Foundational skills that improve motivation and employability
- A better career “vocabulary” including options for entrepreneurism, traditional for-profit and not-for-profit jobs, virtual jobs, and jobs requiring travel as well as addressing the reality of the types of jobs that do not exist yet
Currently we offer group and one to one programs on site and virtually. In addition, our team is looking for schools globally where we can launch our newest version of Discovery. If you are interested in learning more, please visit http://www.brightlivelihoods.com
Laurel Donnellan CEO Bright Livelihoods
© 2011 – 2014, brightlivelihoods. All rights reserved.